Thursday, August 23, 2012

*HOW TO COOK A SPAGHETTI SQUASH*


 I have to admit, spaghetti squash is one of my favorite vegetable, well one of the top one.... it’s easy to cook and so yummy. It’s a very cool vegetable and a great replacement for pasta. I have tried cooking spaghetti squash a couple of different ways but I always come back to baking it in the oven. When I have steamed or microwaved it... it always seems to be to much water left in the squash.

Probably the hardest part of cooking spaghetti squash is cutting the squash in half. You will need a good chef’s knife to cut the squash. First, cut off the stem if it is still attached. Then insert your knife in the middle of the squash and cut in half.

The next step is to scoop out the seeds from the center of the squash. An ice cream scoop is the perfect tool for this job. A strong spoon will work too.

Then I line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, coat it with vegetable spray and lay my squash cut side down.

I preheat my oven to 350 degrees and bake the squash for 40 to 60 minutes, depending on the size of the squash. The skin will never get soft, it will just cave in when pressed.

Flip the squash over and run a fork through the squash to separate the strands. The squash will be very hot. Spaghetti squash in a non-starchy vegetable so you don’t have to be concerned about your portion size like you do with other winter squashes (acorn, butternut etc...). Top your squash with anything you normally put on your pasta. Mmmmmm this is so good..... Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment